In carrying out its activities, Italian development cooperation follows an approach inspired by:
- the sharing of principles of good governance (respect for human rights, rule of law and administrative transparency);
- coherence among the various politics related to development (business law, free markets, debt sustainability, flow of public aid, promotion of direct foreign investments);
- coordination between the individual donor states and multilateral donors, to avoid contradictory choices in the allocation of resources;
- coordination between the actions of health support, education and training of human resources, food assistance, rural development of small and medium enterprises (SME) and of infrastructures and safeguarding of cultural aspects;
- the collaboration between system countries by means of NGOs, local entities (decentralized cooperation), university institutions, and the private sector in order to transfer know-how to developing states and taking human resources into the field for local training programs.